History

Institute for Supply Management - Greater Grand Rapids was originally formed in March of 1919 as the Western Michigan Purchasing Association.  In September 1932, the name was officially changed to Grand Rapids Association of Purchasing Agents.  In 1968, the name was again changed to Grand Rapids Association of Purchasing Management.  In April of 1990, the name was changed to National Association of Purchasing Management – Greater Grand Rapids to better identify the wider geographic area of our membership.  Finally, in 2008 the current name was assumed to reflect the strategic focus of the profession and identify with the national organization.

Mr. Blaine Gavett, the first recorded president of our affiliate, went on to become National Association of Purchasing Agents District Vice President in 1922. The Grand Rapids association was the fourth affiliate formed in what became District IV after three other associations were established.  All three – South Bend, Indianapolis, and Detroit – were founded in 1917.

The N.A.P.A. National Convention was held in Grand Rapids in 1927.  Lois DeHaan served as National Director of National Affairs in 1997-99 and on the National Board of Directors in 2000-2001 and was national Volunteer Person of the Year in 2002. 

ISM-Greater Grand Rapid's national organization, Institute for Supply Management, was organized in 1915 and now has approximately 40,000 members with a network of domestic and international affiliated associations.  It is centered in Tempe, Arizona.